Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Week 5: Wikipedia

I am not sure exactly which rock I have been living under, and I am almost embarassed to admit this but here it goes, my confession... I was not aware that just anyone could edit in wikipedia. There I said it, the ground did not open up and swallow me whole!! Now understand that I knew wikipedia was not a reliable only source, because of lack of reference but the idea that anyone could comment and edit on it was news to me. So thanks to this course, another thing that I have learnt. Given the fact that this tool so easily manipulated, makes the hesitation to use it understandable. Once again everything in moderation, teach the students to use it critically and evaluate and further research their findings.

2 comments:

  1. We live in a 'wikipedia' world and our students need to be critical users and evaluators of all kinds of information sources. As a result, I think wikipedia is an important tool and one that we should encourage our students to use...as long as we are also providing them with the tools they need to be critical thinkers and to evaluate information effectively.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree as I said there is no way of denying what is out there and I don't believe in holding back the forbidden, teach them how to use it effectively and there lies the teaching and learning.

    ReplyDelete